Re: 2.13.32 not honouring margins and staves going off page

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: 2.13.32 not honouring margins and staves going off page
Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 22:09:10 +1000

On 05/09/10 21:46, Nick Payne wrote:
On 05/09/10 09:33, Neil Puttock wrote:
On 5 September 2010 00:07, Nick Payne<address@hidden> wrote:
I haven't been able to reproduce this behaviour with a small example, but I'm getting some staves in a score where lilypond tries to fit too many bars and the stave goes past the margin and off the right-hand edge of the page, and others where the the right-hand barline is at the correct margin but
notes go past the barline.
You have a few places where there are glissandos spanning a barline.
Line breaks will be forbidden at these points unless you allow
glissandos to be breakable:

\override Glissando #'breakable = ##t
Thanks. Adding

\override Staff.Glissando #'breakable = ##t

to the \score block fixed that problem, at the expense of increasing the page count by 50%. There's still a problem with vertical spacing in that with no bottom-system-spacing command in the paper block, the lowest stave on some pages overlays the page number at the bottom of the page. I had to add

bottom-system-spacing = #'((space . 4) (padding . 2) (stretchability . 0) (minimum-distance . 0))
this short example shows the problem with staves going off the bottom of the page:

%=====================
\version "2.13.32"

%#(set-global-staff-size 24.5)

\relative c'' {
    \time 12/8
    \repeat unfold 64 {
        \repeat unfold 3 { c,16 d e f g a b c d e f g }
        \mark\markup { text }
%=====================

the console output contains

warning: couldn't fit music on page: overflow is 14.473369
warning: couldn't fit music on page: overflow is 18.535638
warning: couldn't fit music on page: overflow is 0.413630

and staves are going off the bottom of pages 1 & 2. If I add a paper block to put page numbers at the bottom of the page and retain a tagline on the final page, staves go off the bottom of all three pages:

%=====================
\paper {
    #(define (not-last-page layout props arg)
        (if (and (chain-assoc-get 'page:is-bookpart-last-page props #f)
            (chain-assoc-get 'page:is-last-bookpart props #f))
            empty-stencil
            (interpret-markup layout props arg)))

    #(set-paper-size "a4")
    ragged-bottom = ##f
    ragged-last-bottom = ##f
    ragged-last = ##f
    oddHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line { "" }
    evenHeaderMarkup = \markup \fill-line { "" }
    oddFooterMarkup = \markup \fill-line { \column {
        \fontsize #2
\on-the-fly #not-last-page \on-the-fly #not-first-page \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
        \on-the-fly #last-page \fromproperty #'header:tagline
    } }
    evenFooterMarkup = \markup \fill-line { \column {
        \fontsize #2
\on-the-fly #not-last-page \on-the-fly #not-first-page \fromproperty #'page:page-number-string
        \on-the-fly #last-page \fromproperty #'header:tagline
    } }
}

Nick