Re: Add prefix to lyrics

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Add prefix to lyrics
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 11:06:12 +0200

On 2010-09-03 10:50, Dmytro O. Redchuk wrote:
On Fri 03 Sep 2010, 10:09 David Kastrup wrote:
Obviously (to me), different character slots are required for the
extensible hyphens in lyrics, and a text hyphen.  A long lyric hyphen,
for example, can't have the thickness of a normal text hyphen, or you
get a heavy black bar across the page.  You can't dash with a text
hyphen perfectly either, because the ends of the hyphen are supposed to
convey, well, ends of a hyphen and not an interruption.

I feel like i agree. Actually, what i would like to mention: using a font's
hyphen as a "minimally acceptable hyphen" for lyrics is, probably, bad idea (i
can imagine a sutiation when i need to refuse to use particular font _only_
because it's hyphen is too long for "minimally acceptable" lyrics hyphen "for
current project", let's say).

I vaguely remember to have read about an option in professional publishing software (InDesign and Quark XPress) to allow horizontal scaling of glyphs for better breaks in tight layouts, like multi-narrow-column newspapers. The acceptable amount was as low as 3% shortening and 5% lengthening of the character width or so, and it's deprecated if there's any other feasible option (increasing/decreasing whitespace); but perhaps for hyphens a bit more is okay, say, 10% or 15%. I'm still aware of the fact that the hyphen is usually thicker than LilyPond's LyricHyphen...

To make this clear: I'm not trying to push the scaling, but I'm just thinking about what might be the established practice in typesetting.

Cheers,
Alexander