Re: Replies to the list

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: Replies to the list
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:20:06 -0700

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 04:19:56 +0200, Jan Kohnert
<address@hidden> wrote:
> David Rogers schrieb:
>> * Jan Kohnert <address@hidden> [2010-08-31 06:22]:

>> >That are mail standards since 20+ years, if a MUA doesn't get it right,
>> >it's not the fault of the list. ;)
>>
>> True and still irrelevant.
>
> OK, I don't like Flamewars, so I'll stop here. But one thing I have to add:
> You are using Mutt, according to your headers. Mutt in fact knows
> list-reply,
> at least according to [1]. So why not using this? That would solve all your
> problems. :)

List reply is a poor idea, because it assumes that the
sender is subscribed to the list. The assumption is only valid for
lists that are configured not to allow posting by non-members.

Reply-all does the right thing in all situations (including
lists that only allow posting by members), so list reply
function isn't needed. Reply-all is what solves all problems,
real or imagined. In the context of a list discussion,
the "all" means "all discussion parties, consisting of the
union of the author and the set of members of the mailing
list". That is the correct set of destinations for
the group discussion.

Anything less inclusive than that risks being broken
in some situation.

If you train yourself to use the mechanism which doesn't
work 100% of the time, you will eventually screw up.

Maybe all the lists you are on today are restricted
to members-only posting, but that could change
tomorrow. And then you will have to re-train your fingers
to hit Reply-all.

Reply-all also ensures that the author gets a reply which
isn't delayed by list processing. This is useful when
someone needs some urgent assistance. In those cases, that
someone is often not subscribed to the list.
If I need help with something, and that something
has a mailing list that allows non-member postings,
I won't waste time subscribing just to get my question
answered!

What if the list is moderated? A list-only reply could
sit in the moderation queue for days without being
read by the original author. Are you going to
let some list admin decide what you can and cannot
write to the author of the original message?