Re: Different Raster Size for every page

From: James
Subject: Re: Different Raster Size for every page
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 15:57:12 +0100

Hello,

On 20/08/2010 11:29, Nils Gey wrote:
Hello list,

I recently worked together with a publisher who said he can't understand that
there is no option in any notation-software that allows having different raster
sizes (means scaling of objects) for every page.
It is not on me to judge if this is wise, from a typographers point of view,
but I'm sure there is music that benefits of that.

What about lilyponds possibilities (or opinions) about this issue?

While you can output to various image formats in lilypond, the default PDF output which uses postscript should be scalable at any size and is not a raster-based image at all.

unless I have misunderstood what you meant.

Also see:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/usage-big-page#invoking-lilypond

This shows you how you can output scores to a variety of formats (PNG, SVN and EPS).

I can see no need for 'raster' images being needed, depending on the publication of course, but then one would just create an 'EPS' or import the PDF file.

I don't know what your publisher knows, but perhaps his experience is from users who don't know how to use their notation software to its fullest for offset litho printing (assuming that is what they use).

James