Re: I got a syntax error i couldn't find out how to fix

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: I got a syntax error i couldn't find out how to fix
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 00:13:41 +0100

Bryant Wood wrote Wednesday, August 11, 2010 11:40 PM

I am trying to create a file with three separate scores.I have fixed everything that had been incorrect and now when i check the text document that lists the errors in the PDF generating process. and it says:

# -*-compilation-*-
Processing `C:/Users/Bryant/.lilypond-fonts.cache-2/lily pond files/opus 1.ly'
Parsing...
C:/Program Files/LilyPond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/init.ly:63:62: error: syntax error, unexpected $end
   (ly:parser-error parser (_ "expected error, but none found"
                                                              ))))

error: failed files: "C:\\Users\\Bryant\\.lilypond-fonts.cache-2\\lily pond files\\opus 1.ly"

I am working with version 2.12.3, in case you need to know.
I've checked all the documents that are available for download at the LilyPond site, and i cant find anything on how to fix errors.

A new manual in 2.13, the Usage manual, has a section on errors.
It covers exactly your problem in section 1.4 Common errors.
Under Apparent error in ../ly/init.ly it says:

Various obscure error messages may appear about syntax errors in ../ly/init.ly if the input file is not correctly formed, for example, if it does not contain correctly matched braces or quote signs.

The most common error is a missing brace, (}), at the end of a score block. Here the solution is obvious: check the score block is correctly terminated. The correct structure of an input file is described in How LilyPond input files work. Using an editor which automatically highlights matching brackets and braces is helpful to avoid such errors.

A second common cause is no white space between the last syllable of a lyrics block and the terminating brace, (}). Without this separation the brace is taken to be part of the syllable. It is always advisable to ensure there is white space before and after every brace. For the importance of this when using lyrics, see Lyrics explained.

This error message can also appear if a terminating quote sign, ("), is omitted. In this case an accompanying error message should give a line number close to the line in error. The mismatched quote will usually be on the line one or two above.

thank you for taking your time to read my question. I'm sorry if my lack of general knowledge of the program has inconvenienced you.

No problem - you're welcome.

Trevor