Re: tempo commands not in learning manual

From: James
Subject: Re: tempo commands not in learning manual
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:47:04 +0100

Hi James,
I mainly thought the tempo command was too hard to find in the documentation--too illogically placed for me to track down easily navigating the notation reference headings (just tried it in the 2.13 doc's, had similar problems before with 2.12 doc's) and I actually couldn't find the command at all in the learning manual in a couple minutes of clicking around the section headings. (Admittedly, in the index it is easy to find.) My suggestion is to include the \tempo "Allegro" 4=160 type command in the Rhythms section of the Learning Manual, since tempo is fundamental to rhythm, and I didn't find it anywhere else in the learning manual; I'd even put it as early as 1.2.1, along with Clef, Time Signature, etc., or at least in section 2.1. And, I'd also suggest it be put somewhere more logical in the Notation Reference as well, since its current location Under Staff Notation->Writing Parts is among the last places I'd think to look to find tempo commands; maybe in section 1.2.3, Displaying Rhythms, alongside Time Signature etc.
Hope this clarifies my earlier comments.
Take care,
Dan

On 26/07/2010 16:04, James wrote:
Dan,

On 25/07/2010 02:59, Dan Wilckens wrote:
 > Something so fundamental as tempo should be clearly explained
somewhere easy to
 > find in the documentation, and it seems to be difficult to find at
all in the
 > learning manual (looking at 2.12 documentation and briefly at 2.13).
In my view
 > this is something fundamental enough to be in most pieces and should
maybe be
 > included in section 2 of the learning manual, either alongside Adding
Text
 > (maybe change this section to Adding Text and Tempo Marks), or
perhapsAdvanced
 > Rhythmic Commands (although it's not exactly advanced). I remember
having
 > trouble finding this documentation in the past and it looks like the
situation
 > hasn't been addressed yet. I think this could help new users if all the
 > fundamentals are all right there, easy to find.
 > Thanks for the great program, Dan W.

Are you saying it is hard to find or that you want more explanation -
suggestions welcome?

James