Re: Information about Vim mode in the manual

From: Colin Campbell
Subject: Re: Information about Vim mode in the manual
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:12:30 -0600

On 10-07-21 08:40 PM, Caio Barros wrote:
Hi everybody,
I don't know if someone ever went trough this, but I spend a lot of time trying to figure out why the syntax highlight in Vim didn't work. I followed all the instructions in the manual (http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.12/Documentation/user/lilypond-program/Vim-mode) but it didn't work at all. Also, I noticed that syntax highlight ofr other languages worked (like html for instance)

After a lot googling and tryings I discovered that the problem was that my "~/.vim/filetype.vim" (wich in my ubuntu 10.04 is placed at /usr/share/vim/vim72/filetype.vim) already had some configurations, including the following lines:

---code---

if exists("did_load_filetypes")
 finish
endif
augroup filetypedetect

---end---

So what I was doing is that I was pasting exactly the code in the manual at the end of my "filetype.vim", and that of course doubled the code above so the highlight simply didn't work.

I think that In the manual it should be told that the code above must appear ONLY ONCE in the "filetype.vim" and if it is already there, than the user should paste only the following lines:

---code---
   au! BufNewFile,BufRead *.ly,*.ily           setf lilypond
augroup END
--end---

Other than that, maybe this message help someone that is having the same trouble that I had.

Bye,
Caio Barros

It's the same in the 2.13 manuals, so I'll fix it there.

cheers.
Colin

-- I stay cool and dig all jive, That's the way I stay alive.
My motto, as I live and learn, is "Dig and be dug in return."
   - Langston Hughes