Re: Lilypond for FL Studio ...

From: Johnny Ferguson
Subject: Re: Lilypond for FL Studio ...
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 03:59:10 -0400

On 07/21/2010 05:24 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> They can still make money with GPL. Yes, they are not going to do that.

<rant>

I think it's far too easy to make a statement like "They can still make money with GPL" especially in light of the fact that there ISN'T a GPL equivalent to FL. IL has been making FL since I was in high school (time ago). In all that time, no one has managed to make a non-crappy GPL DAW. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that most of the programmers are not artists. The only good audio app I know of that's native for linux is Renoise (and it's not GPL).

I just have a hard time dealing with GPL fanaticism, some attitude that seems to believe that anything created under a morally superior guideline must also be a better product or tool (essentially a non-sequitur). While it holds true for most GPL software, tools for audio and graphics are complete rubbish.

DAWs and graphic editors are some of the most complicated programs to write, not because they achieve extraordinary results, but because they need to be intuitive to be effective. It's hard to be creative when you spend more time trying to figure out where a tool/option/feature is when you're trying to create art. A lot of GPL tools are quite good, but they lack those few extra features for workflow.

Not saying GPL tools won't ever meet the caliber of current commercial products. I love the idea of the GPL, but I'm a little offended to hear people think that FL Studio could continue to hold on to what they've worked so hard for by going open-source. In a perfect world it would be great, but they have to eat, and I think they should eat in light of the amazing tool they've created and continue to support.

</rant>

> They can export to .ly format and support LilyPond development with
> employees  or money. That's also good option.

From my understanding of the GPL, IL would be free to make use of LilyPond, but if they modified the source in any way, they'd be obligated to provide those modifications to the public, or anyone they distribute the software to. They must also include the software license for lilypond with their distribution.

As far as linking, I am less clear on that. I think embedding actual lilypond source code into their app could be a no-no. I don't see why they couldn't call the lilypond program outside the main FL process though.

I'm kind of interested in why they need lilypond. If they're hoping to do realtime rendering of scores like some kind of new piano roll, I'd forget about that. If they're making the option to export songs as sheet music, I wonder why.

-Johnny