Re: Woodwind diagrams in lilypond w/ changes from M Watts & I Hulin

From: Joseph Wakeling
Subject: Re: Woodwind diagrams in lilypond w/ changes from M Watts & I Hulin
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:00:17 +0200

On 06/09/2010 11:26 AM, Mike Solomon wrote:
> There is now a new bass clarinet, low-bass-clarinet, for bass clarinets with
> low keys (c, cis, d).

Further remark here.  On such low-C bass clarinets (and basset horns,
and some basset clarinets...) it is common (but not universal) to have a
_left-hand_ little finger key for low D.

I would also separate out the thumb keys more to make it clear they are
thumb keys.

The fingering systems are not standardized (e.g. on Buffet I think the
two extra rh little finger keys are for low Eb [bottom row] and Db [top
row] whereas on Selmer I think it's the opposite way round),
particularly when it comes to the thumb keys.

So, my advice would be to explicitly copy the key layout of a particular
well-known manufacturer (Buffet is probably best) and state that this is
what you are following.  Then as long as a score contains an indication
at the start of what key indicates which note, players can adapt the
fingering as they need.

An alternative is to eschew the use of graphical representation of keys
and to instead use (lower-register) note names, located in roughly the
same place as the key, to identify which keys should be pressed.  This
is the system used in e.g. Rehfeldt, 'New Directions for Clarinet'.

All that said, thanks for your wonderful effort in bringing beautiful
woodwind fingering diagrams to Lilypond! :-)

Best wishes,

    -- Joe