Re: Woodwind diagrams in lilypond w/ changes from M Watts & I Hulin

From: Mike Solomon
Subject: Re: Woodwind diagrams in lilypond w/ changes from M Watts & I Hulin
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 10:09:37 +0200

Hey José.

If you are willing to learn, you should first try compiling lilypond from the source on the git repository.  Google “compiling lilypond” for the documentation.  This takes about a day (if you’re lucky – I was lucky, and I still had to update/download many-a-program and do a manual override on my config file to get it to find certain fonts).  Once you have a lilypond git repository established, let me know.  If this sounds un-fun, I would very much recommend waiting until this becomes part of lilypond: compiling lilypond requires comfort with the shell Terminal that is rather far adrift from the Mac OS X prefab version of lilypond.  Word on the street is that this process will be easier in future versions of lilypond, although that is not a part of lilypond development that I know well, and I am not competent enough to tell you how far away that is from being a reality.

I would also not suggest copy-and-pasting my new scheme and postscript files into your working directory – it is generally bad practice.  If you do this and there winds up being a bug that I didn’t catch, you will have another problem on your hands that is much more precipitous than the potential problems associated with compiling.

Again, compiling is a serious time and learning commitment that you should ONLY bring upon yourself if you want to develop.  Otherwise, I will do my best to integrate your recommendations into the work I’ve already done, and as Carl said, this will be part of lilypond in the not too distant future :-)

Cheers,
~Mike