Re: Create and use a custom staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Create and use a custom staff
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:02:15 -0400

Hi Bernard,

> Thanks for your answer. This works partly for me. I would like to add also add
> \clef percussion
> \numericTimeSignature
> within the global defined staff. That seems to be impossible.

If you look in property-init.ly, you'll find the definition

   numericTimeSignature = \override Staff.TimeSignature #'style = #'numbered

So just add the "full" definition to your global:

\version "2.13.17"

\layout {
 \context {
   \Staff
   \name VocalStaff
   \alias Staff
   \override DynamicLineSpanner #'direction = #UP
   \override Script #'direction = #UP
   \override TextScript #'direction = #UP
   \override TupletBracket #'direction = #UP
   \override TimeSignature #'style = #'numbered
 }
 \context {
   \Score
   \accepts VocalStaff

vocalMusic = \relative c' {
  c\f d-> e f g1
}

\new VocalStaff \new Voice \vocalMusic

Obviously, you'll need to do the same for each setting you want, including the
clef.

> So one kind of property seems to be able to made global, but the other is not.
> That is my problem. Is it possible it is a bug?

It's not a bug, but it *is* a feature request: I believe there is a patch being
worked on right now to allow things like \numericTimeSignature in "global"
context settings, "with" clauses, etc.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.