Re: How to stop system from extending to the end of the page?

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: How to stop system from extending to the end of the page?
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 20:49:42 +1000

On 14/04/10 15:54, -Eluze wrote:

dflo404 wrote:
I've tried searching for my question but I can't seem to find anything,
maybe because I don't exactly know what to search for.

Here is the problem:

Whenever I use the \break command, the system that is broken extends to
the end of the page.  This is what I want most of the time, but how can I
override this?

For example, let's say I have 8 systems worth of neatly-spaced measures,
and the last system only contains 2 measures.  Since the system
automatically extends to the end of the page, these 2 measures get
stretched out to a very unnecessary level.  I want the last measure to
stop in the middle of the page, so that those 2 measures are spaced
appropriately.

Thanks in advance!

the word you're looking for is *ragged* and you can put ragged-right = ##t
in the \paper or \layout part.
Wouldn't it be ragged-last = ##t. Ragged-right will affect all staves, not just the last one.

Nick