Re: About Timing_translator

From: Philippe Hezaine
Subject: Re: About Timing_translator
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 21:18:25 +0100

Philippe Hezaine a écrit :
Hi,

In the Gigsaw's process I use Timing_translator in midi block like this:

  \midi {
    \context {
      \Score
 %%%%%%%    \remove "Timing_translator"
      tempoWholesPerMinute = #(ly:make-moment 100 4)
         }

    \context { \Staff
        \consists "Timing_translator"
         }

    \context { \DrumStaff
        \consists "Timing_translator"

and use midicomp to get the specific midi file. I've made a lot of tests
with different time signature and unimaginable polymetric score and I
*always* see the time signature to be 4/4 18 8 in midicomp's header,
whatever I write in MY-SONG.ly. I'm more than very interested in this
information. I'm feeling the Lily's math calculation in this case are
*always* processed from a quarter note within a 4/4. I mean in this case
Lilypond digests all the math with a 'concatenation' when it outputs
midi file. (I hope you understand me). Logical, nifty... GNU...
basically! Is someone can definitively confirm this impression? Or
points me on a deeper source? I'd want to avoid a bad surprise later.
Thanks.

May be I can ask in a different way:
For instance I write a polymetric score with 5/8, 7/16 and 3/4 time
signatures. In the Gigsaw's midi block I don't remove Timing_translator in the Score context but activate it in Staff and Drumstaff contexts. So for the partition Lilypond takes in account time signatures but for output midi it assembles all the stuff in a 4/4 and does the maths. Am I right when I say it *always* does that with my configuration in midi block? So I believe.
Could someone confirm my hypothesis? (which is not a flight of fancy)
--
  Phil.