Re: Strange message with autochange

From: George_
Subject: Re: Strange message with autochange
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:09:39 -0800 (PST)

>Why are you using *both* \autochange (i.e. _automatic_ staff changing)
>and \change Staff = "up" (i.e. _manual_ staff changing) ?
>
>To my opinion either you let LilyPond change automatically at a certain
>note, either you decide yourself when to change, and you say LilyPond
>when (using the \change Staff command).  But not a "mix" of these.

So say I have a piece that is five hundred bars long. Say I use autochange
to get Lilypond to automatically change staff for the music. Say that there
are 50 staff changes that are particularly awkward. You are telling me that
the only alternatives I have for this hypothetical 500-bar piece is to
either put up with those 50 awkward staff changes, or rewrite the piece so
that every single one of the staff changes in those 500 bars is done by
hand? Pardon my frankness, but what a bloody stupid [insert nasty word here]
system.

>You say \change Staff = "up" but Voice "melOne" is *already* in
>Staff "up", so I don't understand the need of both \autochange and
>\change Staff = "up" here.
>
>Could you be more precise about what you want as a result, with a
>picture of what you want to reproduce for example?

No, it's not. Not completely. With the \change in, the output has a
semiquaver rest in the bottom staff, a b, e, g, and f sharp in the top
staff, and the stems point up.

Without the \change, the output has a semiquaver rest in the bottom staff, a
b in the bottom staff, an e, g, and f sharp in the top staff, and the stems
point down (and the beaming looks ridiculous as a result). What I want here
is for both the rest and the b to be on the top clef and for the beaming to
look not ridiculous (I can do that myself, it's the first part I need help
with). However, putting the \change in front of the rest gives the same
output as if the \change weren't there, and using x16\rest where x is a note
doesn't seem to put it in the right place either; for some reason Lilypond
skips right over most of the top staff.

Oh, and thanks for the reply.

George.