Re: Partials and upbeats

From: Phil Holmes
Subject: Re: Partials and upbeats
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 09:08:10 -0000

Xavier Scheuer <address@hidden> wrote

On 22 February 2010 22:05, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

Correct! You can find some discussions on this phenomenon in the mailing
list archives. Do you really want the rest symbol produced by R8? I thought
that and ordinary eight note rest (r8) was the standard notation practice
for upbeats.

Yes but r8 does not permit \RemoveEmptyStaffContext and
 \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t
to work,

Exactly. It must be a bug that you can't hide opening staves where they start with an upbeat...

I had the same issue and I posted on bug-lilypond
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2009-09/msg00095.html

Nicolas Sceaux gave an interesting hack in his answer here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2009-10/msg00011.html

[snip code]

Blimey!  I'll give that a go.

Hope it helps,