Re: How to adjust the space between notes?

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: How to adjust the space between notes?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 21:16:23 +1100

On 21/02/10 06:15, Kieren MacMillan wrote:
Hi Antheo,

Yes a short sample would be nice but as it is a layout question it does not
makes sense to shorten the code. Here is the code i wrote:
http://old.nabble.com/file/p27667198/commons.ly commons.ly
http://old.nabble.com/file/p27667198/Introduction%2B-%2BSaint%2BSaens.ly
Introduction+-+Saint+Saens.ly
OK -- now I can see what's going on.  =)

1. If I'm not mistaken, you're trying to adjust not the overall spacing, but specific
spacing choices/proportions based on note length. It's easy to match the length of the
entire snippet to the desired output/example -- by tweaking common-shortest-duration --
but you want (e.g.) more space left for a dotted eighth than Lilypond's default. I
believe this isn't controlled by "common-shortest-duration" only, but by other
settings — I don't know the exact details, but I imagine there's a relatively easy way to
set these proportions as you would like them. Maybe someone else can answer more
completely.
I had a bit of a play with Stem #'X-extent - looks like you can increase the spacing on a note by changing the X-extent values, but I wasn't able to get the spacing to decrease:

\version "2.13.13"

wstem = #(define-music-function (parser location extent) (pair?) #{
    \once \override Staff.Stem #'X-extent = #$extent
#})

\score {
    \relative c'' {
        c4 c8 c c4 c |