Merging rests with two voices on one staff

From: Michael J. O'Donnell
Subject: Merging rests with two voices on one staff
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:28:51 -0600

I am setting S-A-T-B choral music on two staves, S-A on treble and T-B
on bass. Most of the time, the two voices on a staff have the same
rests, which look much better when they are merged. I haven't found a
command to do this automatically. I have been making a separate voice of
shared rests, and replacing the rests that should be merged from the
individual voices with skips. The labor is getting to be annoying.

So, any hints about automatic merging of rests in single-staff polyphony
will be greatly valued.

Cheers,

Mike O'Donnell