Re: placing fermata over

From: Paul Scott
Subject: Re: placing fermata over
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 17:38:31 -0700

Patrick Karl wrote:
On 5 Feb 2010 at 14:50 Paul Scott wrote:

Should the following work? I'm looking for a way to put a centered fermata over a bar of music.
(In the actual case I want a tremolo under the fermata.)

\version "2.13.12"

\new Staff << { s1^\fermataMarkup } { a1 } >>

At version 2.12.2 the right way to do that is apparently:

Thanks for responding. However I don't want the fermata over a bar line. I want it over the music between two bar lines.

Actually your response reminded me why what I tried might not work since \fermataMarkup is designed for full measure rests. I'm still looking for a way to put a fermata over a tremolo but see below for your question.

\version "2.12.2"

\new Staff {  a'1 \mark \markup { \musicglyph #"scripts.ufermata" } }

However, that apparently doesn't work for the very last bar line; even in the documentation in Section 1.2.5 of the Notation Reference an apparently irrelevant measure is placed after the bar line with the centered fermata.

Anyone know why it doesn't work for the last bar line?

To get it to work on the last bar line use:

\override Score.RehearsalMark #'break-visibility = #begin-of-line-invisible

Paul