Re: Rehearsal marks

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Rehearsal marks
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 02:08:56 +0000

On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 08:34:14PM -0500, Brett McCoy wrote:
> I've read in a few places -- including the Lilypond documentation --
> that, traditionally, when using rehearsal marks in a score, the letter
> I is skipped. Does anyone know why this is done?

I'm pretty certain it's because I is easy to confuse with J or L
or I (roman numeral), depending on the exact font used.

Either that, or some 18th century king was pissed off at the
letter because his ex-lover's name started with that letter, and
everybody respects the tradition banning the use of that letter.
:)

Cheers,
- Graham