Where are error messages explained?

From: Patrick Karl
Subject: Where are error messages explained?
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 11:16:48 -0600

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 21:42:55 -0700
From: Carl Sorensen <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Editing notes in a separate file
lilypond-user <address@hidden>

On 3/2/10 21:42 Carl Sorensen <address@hidden> wrote:

On 1/2/10 10:06 AM, "Michael J. O'Donnell" <address@hidden> wrote:

In the hope that I had overlooked
something (I've read the whole notation manual, but there are clearly
things that haven't made it in yet---I've found some of them in the
*.scm and *.ly sources but there are bound to be others that I've
missed) I posted the query.

Please let us know the things you've found that haven't made it into the
Notation Reference yet; the Notation Reference is intended to be exhaustive.

Thanks,

Carl

Where are the various error messages and warnings explicated?  Here are two examples:

* programming error: Adding reverse rod
  continuing, cross fingers

* warning: cannot find property type-check for `no-spacing-rods' (backend-type?).
     perhaps a typing error?
  warning: doing assignment anyway

Ideally, I would like to produce LilyPond source that generates no warnings or errors when compiled.

How do I find out what those (and other) messages really mean?  What's a reverse rod?  Why would one be needed?  What's a no-spacing-rod?

There doesn't seem to be any information in those two error messages that would allow me to find where in my source the problem is.

What is a "programming error"?  A problem in my source code or a bug in LilyPond?

Thanks,
Pat