Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite

From: Martin Tarenskeen
Subject: Re: New Sibelius to LilyPond conversion suite
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 08:26:57 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010, Michael Good wrote:

There will definitely be lossiness going from Sibelius to an intermediate
format, and from that intermediate format to LilyPond. But I think the
lossiness will be minimized if that intermediate format is MusicXML produced
by our latest Dolet plug-ins. The focus of the development could then be on
reducing the lossiness of MusicXML to LilyPond conversions. That would make
things work better for all programs - commercial programs like Finale or
Sibelius, or free programs like MuseScore.

It would make things even much better if the Dolet plugins would be free or at least cost much less than they do now. Then more people will start using it, more bugs will be revealed, and feature requests will be reported, more bugs will be fixed, and development speed will be increased drastically. For example, how many people in this mailinglist actually bought the Dolet plugin for Sibelius ?

Everyone has his own preferred music scoring tool. For me that is Lilypond, for others this may be Sibelius, or Finale, or MuseScore. MusicXML was and still is a great idea aiming to provide a way to exchange scores between all these tools. I just don't hope MusicXML will be like Esperanto: The Universal Language that practically no one really uses.

--

Martin