Re: Multi-Measure Rests: Adding to what gets printed?

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Multi-Measure Rests: Adding to what gets printed?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:25:13 +0100

me - stanford wrote:
2) Also, do you think #'outside-staff-priority = #150 is a reasonable priority setting for the MMR Text? I'm not sure what most objects' settings are for this property. I was just trying to get it to win over the Lyrics setting.

Oh, and just a few words about this before I leave for today.

AFAICS, the Lyrics as well as the BarNumberStaff form a vertically
aligned group (Is this a VerticalAxisGroup? I'm not sure here...) of
their own - I think of them as normal staves, basically.
I _think_ that it should not be possible for grobs of those neighboring
groups to "cross"; you're merely pushing the MultiMeasureRestNumbers far
above the center baseline of the BarNumberStaff, and since there are no
lyrics under a MMR, the skylines of the two squeeze together.  So I
wonder why 'outside-staff-priority should change anything at all (and
also didn't test it, to be honest).

That's why I prefer the approach with an additional voice a single
staff:  Both MMRNumbers belong to voices in the same staff (read:
vertical group), just with different directions in which they are
attached. Thus, your settings are unaffected by, say, a second stanza,
larger lyrics, dynamics between staff and lyrics, and so on.  An in this
case, you could also use 'outside-staff-priority and '...-padding, but
I'm almost certain you won't need them.

Cheers,
Alexander