Re: (bug?) irregular lyrics distance in 2.13.10

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: (bug?) irregular lyrics distance in 2.13.10
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:02:18 +0100

Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:

> Wilbert Berendsen wrote:
>
>> LilyPond 2.12.2 and 2.13.1 display the Lyrics lines correctly, at
>> regular distances.
>>
>> It seems the new vertical spacing engine in 2.13.10 has not (yet)
>> sensible defaults for Lyrics contexts?
>
> I suppose it's because the spacing in 2.12 only relied on the Y-extent
> property, which defaults to a value including usual extenders of the
> glyphs?

TeX's algorithm is that the baselines of successive lines are placed
\baselineskip apart, unless that makes the depth of the previous line
and the height of the current come closer than \lineskiplimit, in which
case the separation is chosen as \lineskip.

That's sensible, even though Lilypond could likely employ skylines for a
better "closer than" criterion.

> However, in terms of space efficiency it's debatable whether extenders
> should be ignored or not.

No, that is not an option.  If you have lines without descenders and
ascents, like

\score {
  <<
    \new Voice = zap { \relative c' { c4 c c c c c2. } }
    \lyricsto zap \lyrics { a mouse races worms across manure }
    \lyricsto zap \lyrics { a mouse races worms across manure }

}

the result becomes utterly illegible.

> In case you have more than two consecutive lines of lyrics, I guess
> you want the spacing to be even, which needs manual tweaking for now.

Line spacing is necessary for readability.  You can't just run things
into one solid grey mess.

--
David Kastrup