Staff Tab notation support?

From: Daniel Quaroni
Subject: Staff Tab notation support?
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 17:48:44 -0800 (PST)

Hello.  Over at at Chapman Stick forum there's a discussion going on about ways
we can bring Staff Tab notation to people for less than $600.  Staff Tab is a
modification of traditional music notation adds the string and fret positions
(and also which finger to use).  This is particularly important for the Stick
as there the are many fingering options and without this information it would
be very difficult to read.

I don't particularly relish the idea of writing notation/engraving software
myself.  The question I have, which may be better directed to the dev list, is:
Is there the expandability for the file format to support the additional
information, and likewise how challenging would it be for the engraver to
support it?

For an example of Staff Tab, check out
http://dovetailcomputing.com/music/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/GymnopedieNo1.pdf

Thanks!