Re: #'header:title etc not defined outside \header and \paper blocks in

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: #'header:title etc not defined outside \header and \paper blocks in \version 2.12.2
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 13:35:56 +0100

Brenard,
First, please do not set the Reply-To: header field of your mails to the
mailing list to your email adress. This will make all replies only go to you
personally, but not to the list, so the answers are not archived for future
generations of lilypond users!!!

Am Mittwoch, 6. Januar 2010 12:31:51 schrieb Bernard Hurley:
> Hi,
>
> In the following snippet the markup over the c reads "x " _not_ "x test"
> as I would have expected. Which suggests that #'header:title etc are not
> defined outside \header and \paper blocks. Is this the intended
> behaviour?

Yes. It's actually the other way round: #'header:title etc. are only available
inside header blocks due to special hacks to make them available at all.

> If so it is a pity because it would be quite nice to be able
> to write things like:
>
> \tocItem \markup { \fromproperty #'header:title }

I had the same problem a while ago, and there is a workaround to make header
fields available to a particular markup. See the LSR:

http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=467

This snippet (click on the image to get the code) defines a function
\markupWithHeader, which makes the header fields available to the markup.

However, there are some bugs left. First and foremost, only the global \header
block is considered, not \header blocks inside a book or bookpart...

Cheers,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886