Re: Lilypond Right to Left

From: Fr. Michael Gilmary
Subject: Re: Lilypond Right to Left
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 11:03:02 -0500

Fr. Michael Gilmary wrote:
Patrick McCarty wrote:

I was unable to get the suggested font working correctly, but your
feature request is now on the issue tracker:

Sorry for the delay.  If you have any further examples to contribute,
I would be happy to add them to the tracker.

Thanks,
Patrick

Hi Patrick:

Many thanks for posting this for me. I'm sending a sample file for you (aboun.tex). If you have TeXLive 2009 it works (probably older versions too --- Polyglossia will give a warning that there's no hyphenation for Syriac, which you can ignore). The only things you'll need are: 1) to set the Syriac text: the Melthofont called "Serto Jerusalem"; and 2) any free font (I used Junicode) that supports certain diacritics (the only diacritic I've used for the transliteration is an h with an underscore).

Now, to typeset aboun.tex, just run:

lilypond-book --output=out --pdf aboun.tex

then,

cd out

then,

xelatex aboun.tex

and you should get the correct result, which will produce one page of transliterated Syriac with literal translation on page one, and page 2 with the Syriac alone. The request, of course, is to make the music and lyrics run right to left for the Syriac.

OOPS, forgot the file!

--
United in adoration of Jesus,

fr. michael gilmary, mma