Re: parallelMusic and repeat

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: parallelMusic and repeat
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 00:16:47 +0100

Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>>> Ah, come on. Of course your reasoning is correct, I know. [...]  And
>>> there's a bunch of great features, as well, which don't follow a
>>> well-defined standard, but are incredibly valuable from a practical
>>> point of view.
>>
>> So where is your point?  Remember: the issue was _standardization_,
>> as quoted from your posting above.
>>
>>> It's one thing to try to refine the latter, but as long as they get
>>> me my work done, I surely won't reject them for purely ideological
>>> reasons, and rather stick to defaults than standards.
>>
>> So why are _you_ then talking about "standardization"?
>
> Hum. To my understanding, the point why Eluze and you recommend not to
> use \parallelMusic is the lack of a standard for it - which, IMHO,
> misses the opportunity to ease your work, regardless of the current
> state of implementation and/or defintion of the command.

I am not talking about whether to use or not \parallelMusic, but whether
it belongs in the core rather than the LSR in its current state.  And
whether one should consider it a bug that it breaks under several
circumstances.

"I am not surprised that it breaks" does not really address that.

> I'll make a better use of my time, and try to put together an example
> of why I'm still in favor of it.

Mostly I am in favor of making it work.  As consistently as not suddenly
become useless for certain standard situations, and such that Lilypond
file readers other than Lilypond (for example, convert-ly) have a chance
to get it right.

And while its behavior with regard to repeats and relative notes is not
what a user would expect, I am not in favor of declaring the existing
state "standard".

--
David Kastrup