Re: \set vs \override

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: \set vs \override
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2009 06:56:25 +0100

> On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> And I am arrogant enough to believe that if I don't understand a
>> design decision after a few days of trying, it is likely that
>> ultimately a lot of people other than myself will be better off if
>> the distinction gets abolished.
>
> I suggest to try to really understand the current design before you
> set out to modify it.   While that may cost you some time, I am
> certain that it is less time than rewriting a lot of code and finding
> out it wont work afterwards.

Sure.

But it is my opinion that if the difference has technical/implementation
reasons rather than being a logical, non-artificial distinction at user
level, it may be better to _make_ it work.

And if there is a logical, non-artificial distinction at user level, the
docs need to get improved, and possibly better names be chosen that
_reflect_ the logical distinction rather than implementation details.  I
am willing to work on either once I am convinced of one course.

Right now I don't have the necessary clue level.  Merely a gut hunch.

--
David Kastrup