Hide single staff line

From: Martin Hiendl
Subject: Hide single staff line
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 01:33:11 -0800

Hi!

Is it possible to hide two staff lines of a 5-line staff without losing
the ability to differentiate in the way you can with a 5-line staff?

I want to have a 3-line staff but use the space in between like I would
for a 5-line staff so that I can write e.g.
{b} on the middle line of 3 lines
{c} on top of the middle line
{d} in between the middle and the top line, with space to both sides
{e} right below the top line and
{f} on the top line

I'd like to use it for a more open, graphical notation, where no exact
pitches are used but the relative differentiations are possible. I know
that it's possible to use the "\override StaffSymbol #'line-count = #3"
command but this reduces the possible differentiations.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
Martin