Re: developers developers developers

From: Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool)
Subject: Re: developers developers developers
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:25:40 +0100

Graham Percival wrote:
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 01:40:37PM +0100, Bertalan Fodor (LilyPondTool) wrote:

I feel a very big obstacle for fixing bugs: the lack of modern tools for
developing LilyPond.

What, precisely do you mean by this?
- C++ and scheme sucks?  I doubt this will change.
- the build system sucks?  we're working on changing that.
- new contributors spending days fiddling with indentation before
  they can get patches approved?  there's an issue tracker about
  automatically indenting code to avoid this problem.
  (nobody's working on it, but we *do* know about the problem)

Good visual debugger for both scheme and C++, running well on Windows and Linux.
Easy build procedure using visual tools.

Goal: To let a developer download lilyubuntu iso, and have the development tools set up perfectly well for development, gdb configured well etc.
I started to do this, checking KDevelop, Eclipse, Netbeans, Anjuta, and posted my findings on the list months ago. (My conclusion was that Eclipse is quite good, but still not perfect - but didn't yet try Scheme debugging).

Bert