Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Quit [now definitely O/T]
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 12:51:48 -0500

Hi David,

I think that sums up very well why somebody would prefer not working
with Lilypond.  Not only do you have to rely on expert advice, but the
main advice is "please do what an expert would do, or shut up".

Please show me where I said anything resembling "shut up"...?
I'm sorry if you inferred something like that, but I certainly neither meant it nor [in my opinion] implied it — and I *certainly* didn't explicitly type anything of the sort.

If there is no reasonable way to become an expert

As we both (all) know, there IS a "reasonable way to become an expert" at Lilypond — it just may take more effort than with a point- and-click interface like Fin/Sib, and that (unfortunately) may be too much to ask of many people/users.

Naturally, I wish that the barrier-to-entry were lower.
And, like others, I am making material efforts to lower that barrier all the time.

Now I am in the situation of being an expert _programmer_.  If you had
actually bothered taking a look at recent postings of mine, you would
have noticed that I am trying to get some functionality into Lilypond.

I *have* "actually bothered taking a look at recent postings" of yours — in fact, I thoroughly read almost every post on this list. Hence, I had noticed that you are contributing, and was therefore wondering aloud if you would be adding more functionality to solve the problem(s) you were highlighting — specifically, I wondered if you were able [technically] to do so, and might be doing so in the near future: “Any chance you can/will improve it?”

if there is roadmap, design and vision, I have not yet been able
to find it in the obvious places I have been looking for.

Then I think that needs to be fixed — suggestions on where in the documentation this roadmap/design/vision should be?

I don't see that anything is gained for chastising me for my impression.

Once again, I ask you to please point out exactly (with quotations) where I “chastised” you... since I clearly didn't intend to, I want to know how to avoid having my intentions misinterpreted in the future.

Cheers,
Kieren.