cadenza causes barcheck failure?

From: chip
Subject: cadenza causes barcheck failure?
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:08:38 -0700

why would a

    \cadenzaOn
    c16^"Solo Free Time" d ef f g2. as4 gs g32 gs g8~ g1 g4 f16 ef d f d ef c4 ef8 c16 d g,1 \bar "" c16 d ef f g2 g \glissando g' g16 f ef d c b a g f e d c4 b2 e b16 e b1 \bar "||"
    \cadenzaOff

cause a bar check failure?

I've removed the \bar "" bits, but then the long line is placed on one staff and is cut off the page, and still causes a bar check failure.
I've also replace the \bar "" with \break, but that doesn't work at all.

>From the manual -

Unmetered music

Bar lines and bar numbers are calculated automatically. For unmetered music (some cadenzas, for example), this is not desirable. To turn off automatic calculation of bar lines and bar numbers, use the command \cadenzaOn, and use \cadenzaOff to turn them on again.

Apparently this doesn't work as described? This is causing me a big hassle. Surely there is a fix for this?

Regards,
chip