Re: e-books

From: Andrew Tucker
Subject: Re: e-books
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 14:55:56 -0500

On Oct 21, 2009, at 7:44 AM, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:

Hi,

Any e-book owners around here? I was wondering if e-books can be of any use for lilyponders, now or in the future. For example: to read and search in the documentation, to view PDF scores ?

--

Martin

Hi Martin,

I have a Kindle (DX, the big one) and I have used it for both reading docs (search is a little slow, but works) and displaying / playing from scores. I've toyed a bit with creating lilypond scores sized just right for the kindle, and I have a selection of parts from my band on it - but I have not yet performed in public using it.

I've got more related ideas: set all my parts from lilypond on one size paper (a5 landscape is my latest pick), then print full-size or marching paper parts by scaling the pdf, read them on the kindle (which is about the same size as a5 paper in landscape mode) or on the iPhone (small, but an effective reference or in a pinch). Now, what if someone could port lilypond to run on one of these devices!? We could typeset music anywhere!

hope this helps,
   -Andrew Tucker