Re: automatic "note-as-denominator" time signatures?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: automatic "note-as-denominator" time signatures?
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 00:40:00 +0100

Am Mittwoch, 28. Oktober 2009 20:40:05 schrieb Carl Sorensen:
> On 10/28/09 12:33 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <address@hidden>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Can the snippet
> >
> >    <http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Snippet?id=554>
> >
> > be made into an automatic callback, instead of requiring the creation
> > of a markup each time? i.e., I would love to be able to say something
[...]
> >    \override TimeSignature #'denominator-style = #'note
> >
> > and have all denominators be output as notes (rather than numbers).
>
> Yes, it can.  Right now the only thing stopping from being automatic is
> the hardcoded 3 and 2 in tsMarkup.
[...]
> The challenge is that you need to have a context in order to return (as
> opposed to setting) the timeSignatureFraction, so you'd need to make a
>  music function that returned context-spec-music in order to get the
>  context -- that's somewhat tricky.
[...]
> a new style could be added (either to the c++ or to a new scheme file that
> implements all of the current time signatures) -- note-denominator
>
> Then you'd do
>
> \override TimeSignature #'style=#'note-denominator.

It's way simpler: Simply write your own stencil function, which gets the
TimeSignature grob when evaluated. You can use the 'fraction grob-property and
create the desired stencil from that fraction... All you have to do is to
override the TimeSignature #'stencil with your own function and you are done.
Example is attached (and uploaded to the LSR:
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=642 ).

Of course, any approach based on the \time signature will never be able to
format e.g. 6/8 as 2/(dotted quarter), etc.

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886