website so close, and yet so far

From: Graham Percival
Subject: website so close, and yet so far
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 15:16:39 +0100

I have to admit I'm pretty disappointed with the user community.
For the past month, I've spent approximately 2 hours a day (not
counting Sunday) working on the Grand Unified Builder.  As you
might expect from anything that cross-compiles a project like
lilypond on 8 platforms, GUB is large and complicated.  It has 613
lines of makefiles, 18,785 lines of python spread over 298 files,
37,420 lines of patch files, and 1,807 lines of nsis configuration
stuff for the windows build.  Figuring out how to fix/change
anything is hard.

To be honest, my PhD studies have suffered due to my work on it.
I'm already a month behind schedule, which is pretty impressive
since I'm only two months into the degree!

So I've been more-or-less ignoring the new website.  A few times
I've asked for help on it.  We now have an orchestra example.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/index

But what else do I see?
-    Introduction->Alternative input
  Apparently, nobody knows what Denemo is.  (or else nobody can be
  arsed to send me a bloody two-sentence description)
-    Introduction->Alternative input
  Apparently, nobody knows what emacs or vim are.  (or else nobody
  can be arsed to send me a bloody two-sentence description)
-    Introduction->Features
  Apparently, nobody is capable of reading three webpages,
  comparing them to a third webpage, and giving an opinion that
  "yes, the new website looks good" or "the new webpage should
  also mention XYZ".   (or else nobody can be arsed...)
-    Community->Authors
  Apparently, nobody is capable of cutting and pasting together
  some text.  (or else...)

Come on, guys.  I'm giving up asking for screenshots or pictures.
I've never cared about CSS or presentation stuff.  But can we get
the bloody TEXT finished?!  At least at a "first draft" level?!?!

I admit that I drastically over-estimated the amount of interest
and help the website would generate.  I've scaled back the plans
as much as possible, in response to that minimal interest.  But
there's still about 5 hours of work to be done.

The files are in Documentation/general/ , so it should be easy to
generate a patch to fix any of those issues.

- Graham

PS  please don't respond to this email with "oh, and by the way,
the search box is broken" or "the icons on the download page
should be vertically centered" or anything like that.  I want the
MINIMAL amount to be finished.