How to increase the length of an arpeggio

From: Nick Payne
Subject: How to increase the length of an arpeggio
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 18:50:04 +1100

How can I increase the length of the arpeggio bracket on seconds and thirds, which at their default lengths are ridiculously short. See attached example. I'd like to make the length of the arpeggio on seconds and thirds the same length as that on the fourth. I tried various overrides such as \override Staff.Arpeggio #'Y-extent (which had no effect at all with any values that I tried) and \override Staff.Arpeggio #'position (which caused the arpeggio to disappear with all values that I tried, along with warning messages saying "no head found for arpeggio".

I guess I can get what I want by creating an additional hidden voice with arpeggiated notes at the right pitch to lengthen the arpeggio, but was wondering if it is possible to get what I want with an override.

There's also the problem with arpeggios that they don't get spaced properly from the preceding note. Usually it just means that they're a bit close, but if the preceding chord contains a second then they actually overlap the note.

%======================================
\version "2.13.4"

treble = \relative c {
   e\arpeggio f\arpeggio g\arpeggio
}

bass = \relative c {
   d\arpeggio d\arpeggio d\arpeggio
}

\score {
   <<
       \context Staff = guitar {
           \set Staff.connectArpeggios = ##t
           \clef "treble_8"
           \key c \major
           \time 4/4
           <<
               \context Voice = "1" { \voiceOne \treble }
               \context Voice = "4" { \voiceFour \bass }

       }

   \layout {
       \context {
           \Staff