Re: Beaming rules in 2.13.4

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Beaming rules in 2.13.4
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:53:32 +0200

On 29 Sep 2009, at 21:46, Neil Puttock wrote:

In referring to Stone (p. 113), he indicates that for ternary measures (e.g. 3/4), it would be "customary to combine one pair of equals (if there is one) and leave the remaining beat-unit separate." He then illustrates, showing that for a measure of all 8th notes, the preferred beaming would be a8[ a a
a] a8[ a].

Really, this makes no sense; any musician coming across such beaming
would assume there's special emphasis being placed on the beaming
division (e.g., for stress or phrasing purposes).

This exactly what I thought. I looked into BWV 1002 Sarabande, Edition Breitkopf Nr 6520 scored for flute with the original violin part on another parallel staff. Then it suggests that the beaming is used to bring out articulation - the violin sometimes plays two voices, and the beaming is such that the two parts follow each other. For example, in a measure where six eighth notes are beamed 4+2, in parallel, the violin plays a pattern a4. a8 a4. In other places, they are just all beamed together in one group.

  Hans