Re: What's up with fill-line?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: What's up with fill-line?
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 08:15:24 -0600

On 9/24/09 7:40 AM, "Alexander Kobel" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I think I have to bother you a bit more about fill-line; I don't
> understand docs and/or code of it.
>

> First of all, nested fill-lines don't seem to be a good thing, which may
> or may not be a Bad Thing (tm). In principle, that's easy to avoid; but
> it's an annoyance for the header and footer fields that implicitly use
> fill-line, such as tagline. For those you have to redefine the
> {even,odd}{Footer,Header}Markup commands to get things done correct,
> which is quite a bit more ugly than just stating tagline = \markup
> \fill-line { ... }.
>
> This makes this issue actually interesting: I guess it's not only me who
> wants some copyright or tagline texts divided into both in the left and
> the right corner of the page.
>

> So, here's what I know:
> Nested fill-lines are shifted to the right by word-space per level.
> Overriding word-space to 0 in the default definitions of (e.g.)
> oddFooterMarkup does not work well, because it's inherited to the nested
> levels.
> Well, and even _if_ you override it, and _if_ you remember to switch it
> back accordingly in the nested levels, there remains a really tiny bit
> of offset. It's not visible in the PNG, but it's there (I think it's 1/2
> line-thickness, but I'm not sure).
>
> Secondly, if you have a bunch of the same letters inside fill-line, the
> spacing of the first two and the last two is tighter than the spacing of
> the others. If you have a bunch of vertical lines, their distances seem
> to be perfectly equal.
> Why? Intended? I don't know.

If fill-line has one argument, it's centered.

If fill-line has two arguments, the first is left-aligned, the second is
right-aligned.

If fill-line has three or more arguments, the following rules apply:

The first argument to fill-line is left aligned.

The last argument to fill-line is right aligned

The remainder are centered on columns that are equally distributed.

The bars appear equally spaced because they are so thin you can't
distinguish between centered and left/right aligned.

If you eliminate one of the M's in your example file (so the number of M's
is the same as the number of bars) you'll see that the bars line up with the
centers of the M's for all "interior" M's, and with the left side for the
first M and the right side for the last M.

> Last but not least, fill-line seems to be easily broken by arguments of
> very different length. (See the tagline in the attached example, which
> should perfectly fit into one line, and should have more distance
> between the red and the green block.)

It seems to me like your tagline here is exactly what you asked for:

fill the line  with three arguments:  a bar, a markup, and a bar.

The markup is the combination of a right-column with a left-column, which
glues the two columns together (the first is right aligned, the second is
left aligned).  The combined markup is centered in the tagline.

What is wrong with this output?

HTH,

Carl