Re: Contemporary music required feature #1: chromatic transposition

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Contemporary music required feature #1: chromatic transposition
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 11:41:23 +0200

On 22 Sep 2009, at 11:16, Joseph Wakeling wrote:

Hans Aberg wrote:
What you see is that

(i) without naturalizeMusic, transposition fails: transposition alone
     leaves the final pitch being 'g+5/4' which has no accidental

I think is just a bug. Somehow the sharp drops out.

It's not so much a bug as a notational impossibility.

Think of pitch as being staff position s plus alteration a. The latter is used to determine the accidental. So in this case we're dealing with
a base pitch of g+1, which is displayed as g-double-sharp.

Now you transpose it up a quarter-tone, so all pitches are altered by
+1/4. Your pitch is now g+5/4 and there is no accidental for +5/4 so of
course one can't be displayed.

The correct accidental is a # plus a !/4. It then does not change the scale degree. This will also be correct in if the sharp and microtonal accents are relative a tuning system other than E12.

So, if there _is_ a bug, it's that Lilypond doesn't recognise that an
alteration of >1 should change the staff position.

In this case, staff position only changes if enharmonic equivalents are applied. This is how it should be.

  The question is, how to incorporate
a well-defined chromatic transposition rule as an option in Lilypond as
opposed to a function à la naturalizeMusic?

The staff system is what I call diatonic. It cannot be changed, because that is how it was designed around year 1600. I made a description of it using minor, major and neutral seconds. I can think of generalizations, where the staff indicates an arbitrary choice pitches, but I do not think that musicians could read it.

So you want is a mixture if the traditional system and enharmonic equivalents.

  Hans