Re: problems building documentation without compiling LilyPond

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: problems building documentation without compiling LilyPond
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 06:38:26 +0100

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 08:22:37AM +0200, Patrick Schmidt wrote:
> and added
>
> export
> DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ImageIO.framework/Versions/A/Resources:\
> /opt/local/lib:$DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH

That probably won't do anything.

> Now bison 2.4.1 is detected. As I couldn't see any bison related errors I
> assumed that section Bison 1.875 in CG section 2.1.6 Problems doesn't apply
> to me.
>
> 2) Changed config.make file (FLEXLEXER_FILE = /opt/local/include/FlexLexer.h)
>
> 3) Checked ls /opt/local/share/ghostscript/fonts

None of that matters for making the docs.

> There seems to be a spelling mistake in the CG. When I typed:
>
> svn export http://svn.ghostscript.com/ghostscript/tags/urw-fonts-1.0.7pre44/
>
> I got the message svn: command not found.

You don't have svn installed?!  Hmm, did you install the OSX
developer tools?  It should have come on a separate DVD with the
OSX disks.

I don't _think_ you need them installed to build the docs, but
this might become an issue later.

> 4) I did not create scripts for pngtopnm and pnmtopng as I couldn't find the
> corresponding executable programs in /sw/bin/. At least for dummies like
> myself the CG is not clear enough, here. Do I have to create two text files
> which contain something like that:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> exec /sw/bin/pngtopnm "$@"
>
> and save these files in /sw/lib/? Do I have to add
>
> export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib to ~./profile or just type it in the
> terminal? Is it a problem that I installed netpbm even though it's quite old
> (2005)? The man-pages of netpbm mentioned that pngtopnm and pnmtopng are part
> of netbpm. Sorry for these questions but obviously it's not clear to me.

Replace /sw/ with /opt/local.  /sw is the fink package manager stuff;
/opt is the macports.  I'll add a warning about this.

On MacOS X with macports, you should use this:

@verbatim
export DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib
exec /opt/local/bin/pngtopnm "$@"
@end verbatim

This step is the cause of your problems, BTW.  Remember to add two
files: pngtopnm, and pnmtopng, and change the relevant portion of
the second line.

Cheers,
- Graham