Re: shortcut for creating new Staff "subclass" context?

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: shortcut for creating new Staff "subclass" context?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:32:28 -0400

On 2009-09-09, at 08:59 , Kieren MacMillan wrote:

Hi Dan, Neil, et al.:

Does the following help?
SoloVoice is a kind of Voice. UpperVoice and LowerVoice are kinds of SoloVoice.

That's [relatively] self-evident. What isn't crystal clear — either in my mind, or (IMO) in the documentation — is why the following wouldn't work (or, perhaps better put, *what* wouldn't work if the following were used):

\context {
 \Voice
 \name SoloVoice
 %% \alias "Voice"
}

or alternatively

\context {
 %% \Voice
 \name SoloVoice
 \alias Voice
}

If I understand parser.yy and output-def.cc files, it looks like "\Voice" starts you off with a copy of the previously defined Voice settings. If "\Voice" is absent, you start from scratch.

The context settings are saved by name. If you do not change the name, the modified settings replace the previous settings of the \Voice context. If you change the name, a new kind of context is created.

I haven't looked into \alias.
--
Dan