Editing Process

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Editing Process
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:42:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,
     I recently finished entering 14 pages of music for a piano part of a
duet.
     Going through the score, I see about 100 errors that I want to fix.
But now that I have the entire part entered, Lilypond takes about 40secs
to compile.
     I probably should have asked this before I started: how do the
Lilypond experts edit their work and fix mistakes?  Even if I only need
to check results for 20% of those, that's about 15 minutes just for
compiling the score (and that's assuming I get all the property names and
offsets right).
     Any advice?

Thanks,
Jonathan