Re: tieWaitForNote across staves

From: Jonathan Wilkes
Subject: Re: tieWaitForNote across staves
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:03:07 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Mon, 9/7/09, Robin Bannister <address@hidden> wrote:

> From: Robin Bannister <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: tieWaitForNote across staves
> To: "Jonathan Wilkes" <address@hidden>, "lilypond-user" <address@hidden>
> Date: Monday, September 7, 2009, 1:02 AM
> Jonathan Wilkes
> wrote:
> > I see a "cross-staff" property for grobs
>
> But this doesn't mean that every sort of grob has it, or
> uses it.

Hi Robin,
     Thanks for the reply.  That clears up some things, but I'm still a little
confused: let's say I open up the IR, start in the Voice context,
and click the layout object TieColumn.  Now at the bottom of the TieColumn
page, it says, "This object supports the following interface(s)..." and
there's the grob-interface.

I previously thought that everything listed under the grob-interface
would be common to all grobs, so that if you know something is a grob, you
also know definitively that you can make it invisible with 'transparent,
for example.

But since that's not the case, why does it say "This object supports..."
at the bottom of the page for the object?  Does that mean they are
available but not necessarily implemented?

> The file define-grob-properties.scm lists about a dozen
> grobs which do: Beam, Stem, Slur, TupletBracket, among
> others, but not TieColumn.

Ah, I'll keep this file in mind for future problems.

> So your TieColumn only knows about the lower staff.
> IR 3.2.109 says that a tie-configuration position is
> >  the offset from the center of the staff in staff
> space
> i.e. the center of the lower staff in this case.
> When you specify positions high on the lower staff,
> Lilypond takes care that this _doesn't_ intrude on the upper
> staff.
>
> Cheers,
> Robin

Thanks.  I finally found a solution by just using a sextuplet in the
right hand as well, and hiding the notes but leaving the ties.
tieWaitForNote is very handy.

-Jonathan