Re: New user question - relative bowing and fingering marks

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: New user question - relative bowing and fingering marks
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 23:51:21 +0100

John Ervin wrote Monday, September 07, 2009 10:32 PM

When writing bowing marks on notes that have fingering with Lilypond, I'm always getting the bowing mark close to the note and the fingering above
that bow mark.

Using:

d''4-2\upbow

or say

d''4^\markup { \finger 2}\upbow

This is rather atypical in my experience. Is there a way to have the
fingering close to the note and the bowing instruction above that?

Yes, but it's rather cumbersome I'm afraid.

The relative positioning of script objects
is controlled by the 'script-priority property.
By default this left unspecified for most
articulations (including bowing commands) and set
to 100 for Fingering.  So we need to set it to
something greater than 100 for the bowing commands.
We can't use \override, as both articulations occur
at the same musical moment, so we must use \tweak,
like this:

d''4 -\tweak #'script-priority #200 \upbow -2

or like this (the order doesn't matter)

d''4 -2 -\tweak #'script-priority #200 \upbow

Alternatively, if you're feeling adventurous,
you could edit scm/script.scm to specify
script-priority for downbow and upbow, then
it would work as you want by default.

As an aside the glyph used for upbow doesn't look consistent with the rest of the glyph set. Typically the left hand side of the 'V' is darker than the
right. The glyph in use doesn't seem to match the downbow glyph.

That's not something I know about; sorry.

Trevor