Re: chord durations

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: chord durations
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 08:58:08 -0500

On Sep 1, 2009, at 9:30 PM, Christian Henning wrote:

Am I right, that lilypond is rarely used for my type of notation?
Meaning rock/pop tunes for acoustic guitar.

No, the style of music makes no difference. But LilyPond is intended for engraving music which is fundamentally based upon notes on the staff, and you seem to be just writing out chord progressions without a melody. LilyPond is really not designed for this. If you were writing in the melody with the chords above the staff, many of your problems would be resolved. I think that what you are trying to do is to write out lead sheets, but you don't seem to have the melody for the songs. The other option, I suppose, would be to make the melody a bunch of rests (e.g., r1 for each bar) and write out the duration of the chords as the total beat count (g1:7 rather than g16:7 sixteen times in a bar).

I'll send you a sample lead sheet back-channel, since it's copyrighted and bad form to send an entire copyrighted song via the mailing list. I don't have time to write up a fake song this morning.