Re: Lilypond Speed

From: Nick Payne
Subject: Re: Lilypond Speed
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:45:42 +1000

As I have just had a rather powerful evaluation server to play around with
for a few days while I tested our various Windows and Linux server builds on
it, I thought I'd also take the opportunity to compare the build speed of a
reasonably substantial score. I used Reinhold's setting of Reubke's sonata
on the 94th psalm. I tested on three machines, all running the same version
of Lilypond:

1. Dell GX620 workstation, Pentium D dual-core 3.0GHz CPU, 1Gb RAM, Ubuntu
9.04 x86: 10min 11sec
2. Dell GX745 workstation, Pentium D dual-core 3.4GHz CPU, 2Gb RAM, WinXP
SP3: 9min 22sec
3. PowerEdge R710 server, dual quad-core Xeon 5560 2.8GHz CPUs, 24Gb RAM,
Debian 5 amd64: 4min 4sec

Number of CPUs seemed irrelevant as only a single CPU was getting flogged on
each machine while the build was in progress. I saw pretty much the same
percentage difference in build time on shorter scores as well - eg a four
page score built in 16sec on the GX620 workstation and 8sec on the server.

Nick