Re: Accidentals: Unwanted naturals

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Accidentals: Unwanted naturals
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 13:34:28 -0400

Hi David,

Whether we like it or not, there are going to be intelligent people
who misinterpret Lilypond's requirements in this case, and will
perhaps not want to believe that such sophisticated software
could be so naive/stupid/buggy/whatever as to
not take into account its own \key declaration.

Here's where the problem lies, and — with all due respect — it's (still) not with Lilypond, it's with the user.

A key signature — whether hand-written (e.g., on manuscript paper) or computer engraved (e.g., by Lilypond) — is simply (and always will be) a *shorthand* for notating pitches in printed form with accidentals on every (necessary) pitchclass/note. For example, I could write out Schubert's Impromptu in G-flat major *completely without a key signature* (i.e., "in C major"): it would simply require a huge number of accidentals in order to communicate the correct pitches to the performer.

Many times when I'm composing, I'll start without a key signature and only assign one later (in order to make the performers' job easier), or vice versa. A perfect example is the fifth variation of my commissioned quartet that was premiered last month: I composed it (i.e., on my manuscript paper) with a D-major key signature, because that was the central tonality of the variation; however, I ended up engraving it (i.e., generated the score using Lilypond) without a key signature, because it was chromatic enough that I believed readability would be improved by "accidentalizing" every note, instead of requiring the players to compute the "current" pitch class (with all the previous accidentals in that measure) against a two- sharp key signature.

Not only does that example demonstrate why key signatures exist to begin with, it also shows how Lilypond's text entry (and concomitant transposition and re-keying mechanism) saved me a huge amount of work: if I had to "un-key-signaturize" the entire variation — because Lilypond's text entry didn't have the pitch alterations "built in" to the note names — it would have taken me a painfully long time.

this is not some stupid misunderstanding, but a
genuinely different perception of the process.

Fair enough... but I posit that it is not Lilypond's place to teach someone music theory or how to think in the (standard) Western notation system, especially when it flies in the face of nearly a thousand years of notational practice.

That being said, nobody's stopping anyone who wants to write a Scheme function that would support such a beast: that's the beauty of open source software! ;) I would just hope (and certainly voice my desire) that the powers that be — Han-Wen, Graham, etc. — would not add such a function to the base distribution, nor give it any serious face-time in the documentation.

Best regards,
Kieren.