aligning lyrics to part-combined staves?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: aligning lyrics to part-combined staves?
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:03:16 +0200

I'm currently creating many "piano reductions" of choral pieces (i.e. soprano
and alto on one staff, tenor and bass on one staff), using part-combine for
each
of the two staves.

The piano staff should of course also get the lyrics (the piece is homophonic,
so all four voices have basically the same lyrics), but part-combine creates
different voices for a2 and for split parts.

So, I'm currently fighting with the Devnull context to use the soprano music to
align the syllables to (see
http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/ajax/user/lilypond/Specific-uses-of-
lyrics.html#Lyrics-independent-of-notes)
Unfortunately, however, the Devnull context makes the lyrics ignore all
melismata (ties, slurs, etc.) as described there, too.

Is there any way to align lyrics to an invisible voice that also uses melisma
correctly?

An example is attached. First, when the two voices are on separate staves, the
lyrics are correct. However, when using part-combine, I'm using a Devnull
context and all melismata are ignored, so the lyrics are positioned wrongly.
(And no, in my case, there is no voice without melismata, that could be used
for aligning).

Thanks a lot,
Reinhold
 * http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/, DVR: 0005886