Re: Typo in NR

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Typo in NR
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 23:39:32 +0100

Alexander Kobel wrote Tuesday, August 18, 2009 8:03 PM

the last sentence in NR 6.8, "Difficult tweaks", should probably read "Note, however, that \override, applied to _NonMusicalPaperColumn_ and PaperColumn, still works as expected within \context blocks."
instead of
"Note, however, that \override, applied to NoteMusicalPaperColumn and PaperColumn, still works as expected within \context blocks."

This was fixed in the English manuals in the development branch
last February, but thanks to you I noticed it was still wrong in the
French NR, which I've now fixed.  Thanks for catching it again.

By the way, just a few lines before at the start of this item it says: "Some objects cannot be changed with \override for technical reasons. Examples of those are NonMusicalPaperColumn and PaperColumn." Are these the only objects affected? If so, we probably should strike the "Examples of those" in favor of "These", otherwise we should also cite the others, or refer to some place where they are listed?

Good point, and I'm not sure of the answer.  I'm not aware of any
other grobs that require \overrideProperty to be used. \overrideProperty
can be used to override properties of (some?) other grobs too.  It
acts like \once \override.

I'll wait for more expert responses before I amend the docs.

Trevor