Re: \cadenzaOn question

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: \cadenzaOn question
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 13:44:17 +0200

It seems nobody has answered your question. The first thing to note is that \cadenzaOn and \cadenzaOff commands affect the full score, i.e. all staves. Otherwise, I think the description in the Notation Reference more or less says it all, namely that \cadenzaOn simply tells LilyPond to stop counting beats and inserting bar lines automatically (which again applies to all staves). If you move the Timing_translator from the Score level to Staff level, as described in http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/user/lilypond/Displaying-rhythms#Polymetric-notation then the \cadenzaOn and \cadenzaOff commands only apply to the current stave, since they set properties on the Timing context, see http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.13/Documentation/user/lilypond/Special-rhythmic-concerns#Time-administration

   /Mats

James E. Bailey wrote:
Because of a question on the german forum, I thought I'd ask here. Is the music in a cadenza supposed to take up no time? Consider the following:

\version "2.12.1"
\relative c'{
   \time 2/4
\set Score.skipBars = ##t c4 d <<
      {  R2^"G.P." }
      \new Staff { \cadenzaOn e4 f e d \cadenzaOff }

   R2*2
c2 }

\relative c'{
   \time 2/4
\set Score.skipBars = ##t c4 d e f <<
      {  R2^"G.P." }
      \new Staff { \cadenzaOn e4 f e d \cadenzaOff s2 }

   R2*2
c2 }

I can certainly understand the logic behind it, but I couldn't find anywhere that this was explained. Perhaps it is implied in the notation reference, but it really only mentions bar lines and bar numbers, but not how cadenzas fit into multi-staff music.

James E. Bailey

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        School of Electrical Engineering